Thursday, December 20, 2012

Author Tone

Author Tone by Fourscore

I had a teacher at school who would drive us all insane by droning on and on about the tone of an authors writing. Everything we read had to be examined, dissected and studied until we got to the point of hating it, then we would move on to the next text. I loathed that class, as did all the other students. I read for escape, for enjoyment. I don't want to pull it apart to see how it works. The funny thing is I remember watching an interview with a certain author, years after school, where he was discussing a particular book that I had been forced to analyse. The author debunked myths regarding certain hidden meanings in his book. The same hidden meanings that our teacher had proclaimed true and scolded us for not picking up on them. I wonder if that teacher ever saw that interview?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...