Monday, December 31, 2012

Help Skummie

Skummie Store

I just found out that the amazing Skummie is very sick. Although I have featured his tees on this blog more than once I really wanted to help get the word out about this. From his facebook page -

As you may or may not know I've been battling muscular dystrophy all my life. Wheelchair bound since a teenager. I still remained very independent and lived a pretty normal life. In the past few months l started feel sick and out of breath and it kept getting worse and worse it seemed. I was thinkin I had a bad sinus infection. So I got that treated and felt a little better but still feeling pretty shitty. I slept for 14 hours one day and got up for a while and ate. Still felt tired and wanted to go to bed again.`But I had zero energy to even transfer from my chair to my bed. My mom convinced me to go to the hospital. They did all kinds of tests and pumped me full of antibiotics and fluids. Thinking it must be an infection somewhere. My blood pressure was incredibly low. I nearly passed out twice that night. I really think if I had chosen to go to bed and not the ER I probably woulda died without the IV's. My blood was showing some concerning elevated creatinine levels which might indicate a heart issue. So all that night and the next day they moved me to the ICU and did scan and tests alll day. I felt very sick the whole time, couldn't keep any food down, couldn't sleep. Finally on the third day they did a heart cath angiogram to take a look at my heart see there were an blockages causing my heart to be working so poorly. The actual procedure was pretty basic, the they don't even put you out.

No blockages, good news right?

Well no... actually very bad news because is just means weak heart muscle is only working 10 percent of what it should be. Now for a normal person this would be ok but for a person with MD its very life threading. Any meds I could take would lower my heart rate to much.

So, I'm going to die from this?

Yeah..

Oh..wow......man...how much time do I have?

It's hard to say, for a while there it was sounding like I might not leave the hospital alive.

Three more days recovering and monitoring pass. Finally after a few more long days and nights I was stable enough to leave the hospital. Home sweet home! After all those days in bed getting bloated and unable to move took its toll. I was a mess, dizzy, slow, and groggy. So it doesn't leave me much time hopefully months. Just hope my ticker keeps ticking. Now I'm recovering now slowly but surely. Feeling pretty ok now most days. Still sick and still tired but ok. I hope my hands will get back to somewhat normal enough to draw again. Who knows...

The good news is that I'm going to try my best to get the new skummie line (at least four shirts and lots of cool shiz) Lucky for you I had a bunch of new finished designs ready to go before I got so ill. Not to mention all the designs I want to reprint in new ways. As well as designs I haven't used. It would be a shame if these designs didn't see the light of day. If it only works with You're support. If it all works maybe out skummie can continue beyond me. Just trying to live day to day. Now live your life cause you only have one.

Needless to say, I'm not taking commissions at this time.

Thank all of you for supporting Skummie!

-Kory "SKUMMIE" Schuerman

You can help by heading over to the Skummie store and showing your support by making a purchase. Along with the cool tees there are stickers, posters, hats and buttons. Go and check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...